Parsippany purchases Baldwin House

baldwinhouse
Anita Baldwin’s great great grandfather bought the house in 1833. Photo by Frank Cahill.

The Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills purchased the historic Baldwin House on February 3. The property was purchased with open space money for the price of $676,681.75 which included several artifacts that were in the Baldwin family. Present at the closing were Mayor James R. Barberio, Gabe Yaccorino, Township Grant administrator, Councilman Michael dePierro (liaison to the Open Space Committee), Randy Tortorello (Town Historian), and Dean Donatelli, Esq.

The Baldwin House is located on 2.3 acres at 460 South Beverwyck Road and has been owned by the same family for 180 years.

Anita Baldwin’s great great grandfather bought the house in 1833. She is the sixth generation of Baldwins to live here.”

The house has been in the family for so long, the home is now called the Baldwin House. But Anita and her sister say it’s time for another family to come here and start creating their own traditions.”

The home has seven bedrooms and two and a half baths, plus a third floor large enough to be an apartment.

Many of her origins remain. Decades out of use, the old basement kitchen and dumbwaiter that sent meals to the dining room are still there. Two Franklin fireplaces do work.

The township is considering using the unheated garage space to house the ambulance for the paid EMT team and other outbuildings for storage.

Potentially the property could house an environmental center and be used for archaeological digs by local universities.

The future plans for the house, according to Barberio, include office space for the township and/or local non-profit groups. The reception rooms will be used for official township business and the public reception area can be rented out. The land could potentially be used for township displays and the house would be open to the public during municipal functions, such as the Harvest Festival.

Restoration of the house is eligible for State and County grants and also private grants. Preservation plans will be made through a county grant in 2014, and some restoration work could be made possible by Township workers.

Anita Baldwin was the last in a long line of Baldwins to reside there.

Comments

Comments