MORRIS COUNTY — The Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority reminds residents in all 39 Morris County towns that state law prohibits putting certain electronics in the household trash and that this “E-Waste’’ must be disposed of properly.
Televisions, computers, computer monitors, laptops, tablets, printers and fax machines must be brought to an E-Waste recycling center for proper disposal.
A list below outlines municipal depots, non-profits, stores and dedicated recyclers in the Morris County area that properly dispose of E-Waste. Check their websites for specific instructions.
Only electronics listed above are mandated for proper disposal currently, so collection sites are not required to take items such as microwaves, toasters and alarm clocks. If the items are in working condition, consider donating them to a charitable non-profit.
Otherwise, discard these items as garbage, bulk waste or scrap metal. Please remove any rechargeable batteries and recycle them first.
Going forward, the MUA will not accept E-Waste during Household Hazardous Waste collection days at the Morris County Fire and Police Training Academy, including the upcoming June 9 event.
Following is a partial list of facilities that recycle E-Waste.
- The Morris County Household Hazardous Waste Facility, Mount Olive Transfer Station, 168 Gold Mine Road, Mount Olive. By appointment only. Call (973) 829-8006, email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here.
- Check with your town. Many local depots in Morris County accept mandated E-Waste from their residents. A list is here.
- Green Vision. A non-profit, sheltered workshop and training facility for people with Autism, 8 Emery Ave., Randolph. They recycle anything with a plug. A fee is charged for CRT monitors. Visit gvinc.org or call (973) 998-7955.
- Goodwill stores. A non-profit that provides job training for people with disabilities. The stores accept some mandated items. Check with the location for more information. Click here for a store locator.
- ERI/Electronics Recyclers International, 510 Ryerson Road, Unit 2, Lincoln Park, by appointment only – call 800-572-5300. For more information, visit their website.
- CLR Solutions, 220 Franklin Road, Unit H, Randolph. Email email@example.com, visit clrsolutionsnj.com or call 877-257-7658.
- All Best Buy stores. They accept all mandated E-Waste, but charge a fee for television recycling. For more information, visit their E-Waste page on their website.
- All Staples stores. They accept all mandated items except for TVs and CRT monitors. For more information, visit their E-Waste page on their website.