PARSIPPANY — The Parsippany Board of Education election results are as follows: There were three positions available.
|Timothy P. Berrios||5,544||28.71%|
|George L. Blair||4,761||24.66%|
There were three positions available.
The three members with a term expiring of December 31, 2017 were Timothy P. Berrios, George L. Blair and Andrew Choffo.
As a member of the school board team, they are expected to cooperate with administrators, educators and the community in order to fulfill certain basic responsibilities:
- Providing responsible citizen leadership in determining community goals for public education.
- Developing a philosophy of education that will become the basis for sound educational decisions on a wide range of issues.
- Developing written operation policies to serve as guidelines for action and decision making.
- Developing a community understanding of educational issues and school policies through the maintenance of effective communications systems.
- Providing adequate financing for the present needs and future plans of the district.
- Establishing conditions of the recruitment and evaluation of an excellent professional staff.
- Evaluating the educational program of the schools in order to better meet the needs of the students.
- Ensuring a quality education for all students by providing adequate facilities and equipment.
- Providing the student services necessary for all the pupils of the district.
- Engaging in self-improvement and inservice training programs for the purpose of providing intelligent, well-informed leadership.
They should also:
- Understand that the responsibility is not to administer the schools, but to work with the board to see that the schools are well run.
- Understand that education today is extremely complex.
- Listen to opposing views and be able to defend the board’s philosophy and goals.
- Be willing to invest the many hours necessary to meet the responsibilities.
- Serve out of a sincere desire to benefit the community rather than for personal glory or to carry out personal objectives.
- Bear in mind that, as a state official, they have a responsibility to all the children in the state, not solely to those in the local district.